Monday, April 23, 2012

Los Angeles Times Festival of Books

The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books was held at the USC campus this last weekend. I was only able to attend one day which was Sunday. I have to say that seeing so many people in one concentrated area wanting to read was a refreshing experience.

I got to sit in on a Nerd culture panel which was moderated by Amber Benson, fanboy delirium aside, her statement: "I'm getting woozy from the head that I just ate" got many laughs and a red face after she realized what she had said.

I got to see and meet one of my favorite authors. Anne Rice was at the festival. I didn't realize that she had a panel going on herself otherwise I would have skipped out on the cooking demonstration that Chris Cosentino gave. Not that it wasn't good. It was actually very informative and his kid was the most adorable helper in the world. I just feel like I missed something not going to one of my favorite writer's panel's. I stood in line, truthfully more towards the front of it than the other 300 vampires in line. What we do for our writer's to sign are things, and sign my copy of the Vampire Chronicles she did! She wrote a note in it that said: "For Nathan, may your words inspire others as mine have inspired you. Anne Rice." So in the paradigm of my mind in order of importance that rates right next to orgasms. She even sighed, I made the vampire lady sigh!

I also feel like I got to take something away that special at the festival. As a guest speaker at the Target Children's Book stage was none other than the one and only legendary Kareem Abdul Jabbar. He wrote a book that was called "What Color is My World." I wish that I had the ability to pick it up. It was a child's book. It was a historical account, told in the words of children, the scientific advancements given to us by African American Inventors. Look up the History of the Potato Chip - it's worth it and a wonderful entrance into the concepts of class warfare.

Mr. Jabbar is an affluent speaker and after listening to him read me a part of his book (I can now say that K.A. Jabbar has read me a story) I feel like I was given something special by that experience. A fitting end to the day as Kareem is my favorite Laker, favorite basketball player for that matter, and my favorite modern philosopher.

The only other noteworthy thing to discuss was the mysterious package found in the parking garage the car was located in. I don't know what the package was - all I know is that it forced me to rearrange my professional life for the night.

Yes Ladies and Gentlemen, today was a wonderful and productive day.

--Nathan W. Woodward

No comments:

Post a Comment