Thursday, March 21, 2013

Are there no such thing as simple answers?


I find that the problem isn't that there are no simple answers. The problem is that most people want the answers to really complicated questions but lack the mental fortitude to either find the answer for themselves or be given the correct answer by another because the correct answer requires the person asking the question to listen.

I am reminded of one time when I was at work at the gas station a woman asked me why the store that I worked at didn't accept credit cards. I began to tell her: "Well ma'am, the credit card companies charge 3% for every sale and this establishment only makes anywhere between 1-4 pennies per gallon..." At this point the woman interrupted me and said: "I don't need to know all of that."

Politely as possible I returned the statement and said: "Miss, you asked me a question and now I am giving you an answer, if you want to get your petroleum from here you will listen to my answer or take your money somewhere else." The lady looked at me blankly and I assumed that meant go ahead and continue. "As we only make 1-4 pennies a gallon for us to pay say VISA 3% of our cost of gas which is currently 3 dollars a gallon we would be paying anywhere from 8 - 5 cents a gallon just so you can use your credit card. As a corporate whole, British Petroleum doesn't really care about people that much, just look at what the CEO said about the oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico in response to his employees dying, all he wanted was his old life back."

The lady left, pumped her gas and I never saw her again.

A couple of questions came up, and I know what you're all thinking: 'How in the hell did you never get fired?' That's a good question, just accept that I am in fact quite amazing. That being said:

I probably never even made a dent in her thought process and she could care less, yet, here I am, years later, wondering to myself what she is doing now. Is she alive, does she still care that AMPM (the smart ones) don't take credit cards?

Why am I sitting here wondering about this lady who had no impact on my life at all? Anyone have the complicated answer? I have the mind to listen, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment